Critical Reflection

 

  Throughout the UCS1001 module, I have learnt new critical thinking and reflection techniques such as Paul-Elder framework and Dewey’s Model of Reflective Thought and Action. Through these frameworks and techniques, I realised that skills that I learnt a few years ago was very basic. After going through the module, I have learnt that reflections and summaries must be clear and concise. Paul-Elder Framework aids me in understanding problems and issues to be resolved. With this framework, I could further analyse problems in a structured way where I could be more inclusive of all types of possibilities and solutions. The Dewey’s Model was one of the few reflection models that I have learnt as well. With this model, I am able to reflect on my actions and make improvements and solutions for others or myself in the future. One of the weaknesses that I stated at the start of the module was communications. As a soft spoken person, I have always wanted to be more open and speak to more people. Throughout this course there were many opportunities given to me to speak to more classmates in terms of projects and class activities. Throughout the module, I was also able to speak out loud multiple times although I am embarrassed at times. I feel that I have achieved this goal as I am able to communicate with more people and speak to larger group of people. However, I do feel that I still lack a lot in terms of confidence. I hope to find more opportunities throughout my life to talk to more people and gain more confidence.

 

  One of the most memorable moments that I have learnt a lot in the team project was the team dynamics, research skills and presentation skills. I have also thought that I have perfected my presentation skills in my previous institution. However, this project have shown me that there are much more things to improve on in my presentation skills such as body postures, tone and language. In terms of language, I have a tenancy of using reflexive pronoun in formal presentations. I did not know that this made me very unprofessional in a formal presentation. When I received this feedback, I revised my presentation slides many times with my teammates to ensure that I do not use reflexive pronoun. Throughout this project, I have also learnt a lot about how team dynamics could affect the quality of work that we produced. There were instances where we were getting distracted with social medias and teammates were pulling each other back to do the project. The team also held many team meetings to ensure that all of us are aligned as we proceed in the project. All these actions were possible with supportive teammates to help and complement each other strength and weaknesses. In terms of research, I have struggled a lot in finding relevant research for the project. I have went through multiple websites and books to find those information. With the help of my teammates, I was able to focus on a more specific research topic to find the relevant information we needed. Overall, our team is a unique team that contains all sorts of personality and working styles. However, all of us compliment each other and worked in a professional yet interesting working environment.

 

  Throughout this module, it has been a great and enjoyable experience with multiple interesting moments happening. I have managed to make more friends and be more confident in how I communicate with people. Overall, this module had helped me a lot in understanding myself and also learning analyse skills that are important to me to make decision in life.

Comments

  1. Thanks much, Javin, for this detailed critical reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Formal Introductory Letter

The Importance of communication skills for engineers